Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Gestures of Kindness

I had stopped riding my bike for a second because it was raining and I couldn’t see out my glasses. A middle-aged lady came up to me. She asked me, in Japanese, if I had an umbrella and offered me hers. I was very touched by her gesture. She made my week by doing that.

In America, I hear all the time that the Japanese can be rather cautious of foreigners. I’ve personally experienced nothing short of utter kindness from everyone I’ve met. I do not think it is common for strangers to offer umbrellas to one another, but there is a genuine sense of hospitality here.

-Entryway to A Homstay-

My friend invited us to visit his former home stay family. When we arrived, the family fed us for four hours straight. This was after giving us a very high amount of money for transportation costs. They also put us up for the night. I felt like I was drowning in hospitality, but this is the Japanese way, or at least an example that I’ve seen demonstrated quite a lot. Guests are very fussed over.

-The Living Room Where We Slept-

The greatest part is that all of the actions feel genuine. Smiles are not plastic, and cultural faux pas are corrected without fuss. The Japanese people may be known for keeping to themselves, but they certainly express themselves with services to others.

1 comment:

  1. Again, glad to hear you are having good experiences with the Japanese people you are meeting. They are genuinely kind. But there is also a strong sense of reciprocity in Japan. Hopefully you can help your new friends in some way in the future as well.

    ReplyDelete